Nevada Northern Railway
National Historic Landmark     Ely, NV 



Nevada Northern Railway

2-8-0 Locomotive 93

     
No. 93 loading passengers at East Ely No. 93 at Lakawanna No. 93 with caboose
Loading pasengers at East Ely
No. 93 at Lakawanna
No. 93 with caboose


Above photos courtesy of Mark Bassett

 

2-8-0 No. 93 was built by Alco Pittsburgh works in 1909 and sold to the American Smelters Securities Co. (a Guggenheim entity) for operation on the Nevada Northern Railway ore route.

It was subsequently sold to Nevada Consolidated Copper (Nevada Con) on 01 September 1920 when Nevada Con assumed operation of the ore line. The ore line trackage remained the property of the Nevada Northern Railway and they provided the management for operations by Nevada Con train crews.

In 1961, after dieselization of the fleet had been accomplished for some time, Kennecott Copper Co. donated it to the White Pine Public Museum. It was subsequently restored to operating condition by volunteers and currently runs tourist excursions at the Nevada Northern Railway Museum. Most recently, it was part of the Olympic Steam Team operating in Heber Valley, Utah during the 2002 Winter Games.

-